Women - Influential Agents of Change, Bridging Gender Equality Gaps in Counter Trafficking in Persons Responses
Three speakers of the webinar were Ms. Bui Thi Hoa - VWU Vice President, Ms. Chuo Bun Eng - Permanent Vice-Chair of National Committee for Counter Trafficking of Cambodia and Mr. Ilias Chatzis - Chief of UNODC’s Human Trafficking Section.
The speakers shared experiences of different countries regarding crime prevention and control in terms of developing institutions and policies and specific activities for human trafficking responses.
The presentation by VWU Vice President Bui Thi Hoa was highly appreciated. It highlighted the role of women leaders and the VWU through practical anti-human trafficking activities such as communicating policies and laws on anti-human trafficking, educating and mobilizing women and children to observe the Law on Human Trafficking Prevention and Combat; recommending to relevant authorities on measures to address trafficking in persons, providing counseling services on countering trafficking in persons, vocational training, job creation and activities to help victims of human trafficking integrate into the community, supervising the implementation of the law on human trafficking responses, and building a network of communicators on anti-human trafficking in the grassroots.
At the People's Police Academy (Viet Nam)
The VWU will focus on the following activities in the near future:
1. Promoting communication and education, attaching importance to mass media and social networks to raise awareness among WU’s staff, VWU members and women at large on trafficking in persons.
2. Improving the quality of victim support services (Peace House shelters in some provinces/cities, One-Stop Center for Survivors of Gender Based Violence etc.).
3. Monitoring the implementation of the Law on Human Trafficking Prevention and Combat.
4. Proposing policies/programs and projects on women empowerment, minimizing the prevalence of trafficking in women and children.
5. Connecting, coordinating and building a network of the organizations combating trafficking in persons.
In Can Tho City (Viet Nam)
The webinar was highly successful and had a special meaning amidst the complicated situation of COVID-19 pandemic and the emerging crime with sophisticated tricks.